Tuesday, June 8, 2010

TWD: Blackberry Shortcake

Blackberry Shortcake



 I heard the doorbell as I was stepping into the shower Monday morning. Probably UPS,  Mr. Mimi answered. I couldn't remember ordering anything, but I figured that I would remember once I saw a box. Imagine my delight as I walked into the kitchen after the shower and saw fresh blackberries straight from Mrs. A's garden sitting on the counter. Way better than a UPS delivery! Which brings us to this week's TWD. Cathy of The Tortefeasor chose Tender Shortcakes, which I had planned to skip, but fresh blackberries quickly changed that.




I tossed the blackberries with some Grand Marnier and sugar and tucked them away to marinate while I made the shortcakes. I made a half batch Dorie's shortcake recipe which is almost identical to my go-to recipe, the only difference being Dorie adds a bit  more sugar to the dough. Since I use milk instead of cream when I make shortcake and they always turn out perfect, I chose to do the same here.



The shortcakes were perfect. They were buttery and crispy on the outside with a light and fluffy inside. I whipped up some cream with Grand Marnier and assembled the shortcakes for a delicious summertime dessert! If you would like the recipe visit Cathy and to see what the other  TWD bakers made visit our blog roll.